29/03/2009 A Spanish court has taken the first steps toward opening a criminal investigation into allegations that six former high-level Bush administration officials violated international law by providing the legal framework to justify the torture of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, The New York Times said on Saturday.
The paper said the case, against former Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales and others, was sent to the prosecutor’s office for review by Baltasar Garzon, the crusading investigative judge who ordered the arrest of the former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, the newspaper said, citing an official close to the case.
The complaint, prepared by Spanish lawyers with the help of U.S. and European legal experts, also names John Yoo, the former Justice Department lawyer who wrote secret legal opinions saying the president had the authority to circumvent the Geneva Conventions, and Douglas Feith, the former undersecretary of defense for policy.
Spain can claim jurisdiction in the case because five Spanish citizens or residents who were prisoners at Guantanamo Bay say they were tortured there.
The other Americans named are: read on
- Why Is Anyone Still Catholic?
- Pope Benedict XVI exposed in a monstrous international criminal cover-up: call to criminally prosecute Pope Benedict at the International Criminal Court
- An Act Of War: The US Congress is Actively Pushing for War on Iran
- VIDEO: “Nuclear Terrorism”: US administration is interested in creating an environment which will justify a possible nuclear attack on Iran
- Pope Benedict and the Roman Catholic Church: Worst Credibility Crisis Since Reformation
- Is Canada Fighting an Imperialist War in Afghanistan?
- The Politics of Counting Dead Afghan Civilians
- Hamid Karzai: Our Man in Kabul
- United States, once again, reserves the right to a “pre-emptive” nuclear attack because it owns the world?
- Obama Threatens Iran with Nuclear Weapons: Tehran’s Response.
- Art Crimes
- Arts and Letters Daily
- Asia Times
- C.O.A.T.-Coalition To Oppose The Arms Trade
- Canadian Charter of Rights
- Confronting Empire
- Cyrano’s Online Journal
- Democracy Now
- Electronic Intifada
- Electronic Iraq
- Free Speech TV
- Gaza-Laboratory for the Occupation
- GLOBAL BDS MOVEMENT
- Information Clearing House
- Informed Comment
- Killing Train
- Les Politiques
- Michael Albert
- Noam Chomsky
- Open Democracy
- Palestine Blogs
- Palestine Chronicle
- The Cutting Edge
- The Dominion
- The Tyee
- THomas Paine’s Corner
- Truthout/News Politics
- we make money not art
- World Changing
- Z Magazine