The Obama administration is committed to a massive deployment of US and alled troops in Afghaniustan. The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. David McKiernan, had requested 30,000 troops. Sofar the president has authorized 17,000 troops “and the Pentagon identified 12,000 to send.”
NATO troops are facing fierce resistance. NATO countries have been called upon by the US to increase their troops in Afghanistan officially to combat the “war on terrorism”.
Afghanstan is a strategic geopolitical hub in Central Asia bordering on China and the former Soviet Union. It is at the crossroads of stragegic oil and gas pipelines.
It also supplies more than 90 percent of the world’s supply of heroin. Retail sales worldwide of Afghan heroin are of the order of 200 billion dollars a year. It is worth noting these multibillion proceeds of the Afghan drug trade, deposited in Western banks, constitute, at a time of crisis, a financial safety net for the Western banking system.
In recent developments, Germany is to to contribute to the surge in Afghanistan.
“Chancellor Angela Merkel says Germany will send 600 extra troops to Afghanistan in the run-up to elections there later this year.
Germany currently has more than 3,500 troops in the NATO-led force in Afghanistan. They serve under a mandate from parliament that allows the deployment of a maximum 4,500 soldiers.”
Canada has stated that it will pull out its 2,500 combat troops in Afghanistan by 2011. Barack Obama will be on an official visit to Canada on February 19th. Pressure has been put to bear on Ottawa not to proceed with troop withdrawals.
|Global Research Articles by Michel Chossudovsky|
- Why Is Anyone Still Catholic?
- Pope Benedict XVI exposed in a monstrous international criminal cover-up: call to criminally prosecute Pope Benedict at the International Criminal Court
- An Act Of War: The US Congress is Actively Pushing for War on Iran
- VIDEO: “Nuclear Terrorism”: US administration is interested in creating an environment which will justify a possible nuclear attack on Iran
- Pope Benedict and the Roman Catholic Church: Worst Credibility Crisis Since Reformation
- Is Canada Fighting an Imperialist War in Afghanistan?
- The Politics of Counting Dead Afghan Civilians
- Hamid Karzai: Our Man in Kabul
- United States, once again, reserves the right to a “pre-emptive” nuclear attack because it owns the world?
- Obama Threatens Iran with Nuclear Weapons: Tehran’s Response.
- Art Crimes
- Arts and Letters Daily
- Asia Times
- C.O.A.T.-Coalition To Oppose The Arms Trade
- Canadian Charter of Rights
- Confronting Empire
- Cyrano’s Online Journal
- Democracy Now
- Electronic Intifada
- Electronic Iraq
- Free Speech TV
- Gaza-Laboratory for the Occupation
- GLOBAL BDS MOVEMENT
- Information Clearing House
- Informed Comment
- Killing Train
- Les Politiques
- Michael Albert
- Noam Chomsky
- Open Democracy
- Palestine Blogs
- Palestine Chronicle
- The Cutting Edge
- The Dominion
- The Tyee
- THomas Paine’s Corner
- Truthout/News Politics
- we make money not art
- World Changing
- Z Magazine