Global Research, May 20, 2007
When Jaap De Hoop Scheffer of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization visits the Bush Ranch in Crawford, Sunday, May 20, peace activists will be on hand to decry the Iraq war and NATO’s role in the so called “war on terror.”
A White House press release declared, “The President looks forward to discussing with the Secretary General NATO’s crucial role in advancing freedom and security.” They will discuss operations in Afghanistan and NATO’s ongoing transformation to meet the security challenges of the 21st century.
According to Carl Rising-Moore of The Camp Casey Peace Institute, founded by Cindy Sheehan, “Violations of the Afghan code of honor by NATO forces during their search-and-destroy missions and the excessive use of force during military operations leading to loss of innocent lives have provoked widespread revulsion among Afghan people.” Twenty-thousand NATO troops will be defeated just as the 100,000 man Soviet army left Afghanistan with their tails between their legs.”
“NATO’s self-proclaimed authority to manage international conflict is puzzling,” said Hadi Jawad of the Crawford Texas Peace House. “Who empowered NATO to be the police of the world? Why is NATO more powerful than the United Nations? And whose interest does NATO serve? De Hoop Scheffer is perceived worldwide as a mere puppet of the US.”
Kay Lucas, director of Crawford Texas Peace House, commenting on De Hoop Sheffer’s visit said, “The security challenges of the 21st century can only be met through diplomatic measures of governments who truly represent their people’s wishes for peace and justice. Armies, by design, invade, occupy and plunder resources of defenseless peoples. NATO is a tool of the imperial powers, providing them a ‘protection racket’ on a global scale.”
“NATO’s original role as a military alliance to counter the threat of communism has outlived its utility,” according to Rising-Moore. “It should be disbanded or at least converted to a humanitarian aid organization.”
When: Sunday, May 20, 3 p.m.
Where: Crawford, Texas
- Why Is Anyone Still Catholic?
- Pope Benedict XVI exposed in a monstrous international criminal cover-up: call to criminally prosecute Pope Benedict at the International Criminal Court
- An Act Of War: The US Congress is Actively Pushing for War on Iran
- VIDEO: “Nuclear Terrorism”: US administration is interested in creating an environment which will justify a possible nuclear attack on Iran
- Pope Benedict and the Roman Catholic Church: Worst Credibility Crisis Since Reformation
- Is Canada Fighting an Imperialist War in Afghanistan?
- The Politics of Counting Dead Afghan Civilians
- Hamid Karzai: Our Man in Kabul
- United States, once again, reserves the right to a “pre-emptive” nuclear attack because it owns the world?
- Obama Threatens Iran with Nuclear Weapons: Tehran’s Response.
- Art Crimes
- Arts and Letters Daily
- Asia Times
- C.O.A.T.-Coalition To Oppose The Arms Trade
- Canadian Charter of Rights
- Confronting Empire
- Cyrano’s Online Journal
- Democracy Now
- Electronic Intifada
- Electronic Iraq
- Free Speech TV
- Gaza-Laboratory for the Occupation
- GLOBAL BDS MOVEMENT
- Information Clearing House
- Informed Comment
- Killing Train
- Les Politiques
- Michael Albert
- Noam Chomsky
- Open Democracy
- Palestine Blogs
- Palestine Chronicle
- The Cutting Edge
- The Dominion
- The Tyee
- THomas Paine’s Corner
- Truthout/News Politics
- we make money not art
- World Changing
- Z Magazine