It is time we renounce killing masses of people in order to solve international disputes
By Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad
Global Research, May 10, 2007
The war in Iraq is getting worse. More and more American soldiers are being killed. Of course Iraqis are being killed in greater numbers.
This war was started by President Bush and supported by Prime Minister Tony Blair. They had lied in order to invade Iraq.
What has this war gained for America and Britain? Nothing except the unnecessary deaths of American soldiers, destruction of Iraq and higher oil prices. There is no democracy in Iraq, for which American soldiers were supposed to die.
Invading a country today does not end in conquest and subjugation of the people. The occupying forces would be continuously attacked by guerillas and terrorists.
War is no longer an option for even the most powerful countries in the settlement of international disputes.
Killing people to achieve a national objective is primitive and barbaric.
Modern wars kill and destroy more.
The majority of those killed are non-combatants; old people, sick people, children and babies.
War makes a mockery of our claims to be civilised, to care for human life, human rights etc.
War reduces us to being brutish animals.
It is time we renounce killing masses of people in order to solve international disputes. It is time we renounce WAR! Defensive war would not be necessary in the absence of wars of agression. Trillions of dollars would be saved as nations scale down their war machines.
I appeal to the American people to reject candidates in the Presidential primaries and election who do not reject killing people, who do not reject war as a policy option for the United States of America.
Elect only candidates who categorically declare they reject war and killing people.
If the United States does this, then candidates in elections in other countries will have to reject war.
Americans – you have a duty to yourselves – you have a duty to humanity at large.
Please do not fail in this moral duty.
Dr Mahathir bin Mohamad
Perdana Global Peace Organisation
Dr Mahathir bin Mohamad is the former Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- Why Is Anyone Still Catholic?
- Pope Benedict XVI exposed in a monstrous international criminal cover-up: call to criminally prosecute Pope Benedict at the International Criminal Court
- An Act Of War: The US Congress is Actively Pushing for War on Iran
- VIDEO: “Nuclear Terrorism”: US administration is interested in creating an environment which will justify a possible nuclear attack on Iran
- Pope Benedict and the Roman Catholic Church: Worst Credibility Crisis Since Reformation
- Is Canada Fighting an Imperialist War in Afghanistan?
- The Politics of Counting Dead Afghan Civilians
- Hamid Karzai: Our Man in Kabul
- United States, once again, reserves the right to a “pre-emptive” nuclear attack because it owns the world?
- Obama Threatens Iran with Nuclear Weapons: Tehran’s Response.
- Art Crimes
- Arts and Letters Daily
- Asia Times
- C.O.A.T.-Coalition To Oppose The Arms Trade
- Canadian Charter of Rights
- Confronting Empire
- Cyrano’s Online Journal
- Democracy Now
- Electronic Intifada
- Electronic Iraq
- Free Speech TV
- Gaza-Laboratory for the Occupation
- GLOBAL BDS MOVEMENT
- Information Clearing House
- Informed Comment
- Killing Train
- Les Politiques
- Michael Albert
- Noam Chomsky
- Open Democracy
- Palestine Blogs
- Palestine Chronicle
- The Cutting Edge
- The Dominion
- The Tyee
- THomas Paine’s Corner
- Truthout/News Politics
- we make money not art
- World Changing
- Z Magazine